Monday, September 8, 2008

In memory of Tom Brady (Is that pessimistic?)

If you have any spare time, you should check out Jordan.

In Wadi Rum we went off road through the desert for an entire day. Our tour guide Ali (Everyone I have met in Arab countries have been name Muhammad, Achmed, or Ali) was hilarious, but pretty crazy behind the wheel. He was flying up and down sand dunes, weaving in and out of rock, and just generally going as fast as he could. We stopped for lunch in the afternoon and the dude made a fire and cooked us some chicken right there.

I did some extremely hard hikes up cliffs, sand dunes, etc. (Thank god I am in such amazing shape). By the way, hiking up a sand dune is quite difficult as sneakers and sand don't mix well.


I stayed the night in a Bedouin tent, but ended sleeping outside under the stars (How romantic). We went on a Petra by night tour which consisted of walking through the Petra canyon, then sitting there while some dude played some crazy music and told a story. I slept through the whole thing (Yes it was boring, but I had taken a midnight bus from Tel Aviv to Eilat in order to start my tour in Wadi Rum, so I was quite tired).

Next day, we went Petra by day. Petra is basically this giant natural canyon that leads into a town of some ancient civilization. As stated before, this is where some of the final scene of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade were filmed (They are sill obsessed with this here. The guide started playing the Indiana Jones music on his cell phone once we got there). It was quite kind of this ancient civilization (Like 2000 BC? Maybe I made that up) to make all this cool stuff for us to look at now. It really is some of the most impressive sites I have ever seen. Also, the area is very rich in minerals so the rocks come in many different colors.

In the afternoon (The hottest part of the day), I hiked up this hill (900 stairs) which took about 50 minutes. It sucked. I have never been so sweaty in my entire life.


I don't usually drink tea, but I drank it non-stop while I was there. Everyone offered it. That's it....random thought.

After I came back from Jordan I stayed in Eilat (The southern tip of Israel, and party central) for two nights. Very fun, very beautiful, very drunk. It is located at the tip of the red sea, and is bordered by Taba, Egypt and Aqaba, Jordan (Its pretty cool to look across the water and see Jordan on the other side). I met some couple in Eilat and ended up hanging out with them most of the time (Good thing cause they were in a nice hotel).



Hmmm I am getting fat.

The only problem with Eilat is that is probably the hottest place I have ever been. It averages around 40 degrees (that's Celsius, or 105 degrees Fahrenheit for all you Americans (Actually, probably everyone reading this is American)).

Today, I went to the beach in Tel Aviv with some of the friends I have made here. I have met tons of people now since I have been here that I go and hang out with somewhat regularly (Seriously, I think I have made more friends here, than I do in a year in the states (But, of course I'm really not that cool in the states (Maybe its because finally I found a place where they are willing to accept a blond hair, blue eyed Jew))).

No comments: